Monday, November 30, 2009

Concussions and toughness

I rarely agree with Ron Cook,Post-Gazette sports columnist, but in this case, I'm totally with him.

The NFL is finally taking head injuries as seriously as they truly are, and I'm really disappointed in Hines Ward for practically calling out his QB for not playing against the Ravens. We're not talking about Big Ben's sore pinky toe or a bruised rib. We're talking about the man's brain.

I've highlighted this in the past, but if you haven't read it, please read Jean Marie-Laska's GQ article on concussions in the NFL. It made me cringe and really see all of this game head-banging under a new light.

1 comment:

ellen said...

It's very troubling to think that our brains could be damaged without our realizing it. I played rugby in high school and what I've read of this article may have talked me out of joining a club again as I'd planned.

This really complicates the moral issue of watching and supporting professional sport teams. Is it ok for us as a society to pay these athletes large sums of money to compete for our entertainment when they risk such huge injuries? It's even more dicey when you consider it from a Christian or other religious perspective.


I plan to read the other 8 pages of that article, but right now I really should be working on the homework that is keeping me awake. This was a very good post.