Saturday, November 28, 2009

Need your help readers!!!

Ever since starting photography at the Post-Gazette, I've started to become much more passionate about it. In Iraq, I wrote stories and a I took photos to match the stories, but in my mind I always considered photography secondary. Now I'm becoming really passionate about it.

I've also run into Jay's wordpress blog about journalism and online media, and I really love the extended features that wordpress offers over blogger.

My "dilemma" is that I really want to start a wordpress blog so I can do multiple things with it: continue talking about the Steelers, my faith and also add photography and fiction writing to the mix. On top of that, it allows me to use the blog as an online portfolio by uploading my resume and a list of my achievements.

But if I make the switch, I'm not sure if I see a need to keep this blog going. That means that I would have to start from scratch and sort of lose the continuity that I've begun here.

I also have a website, with my own name as a URL, which costs about $100 a year to keep up. Wordpress is free. Should I make the switch completely and leave the website and this blog behind?

For those of you who have wordpress, how easy is it to use compared to blogger? What are the pros and cons? How interactive is it by combining photos and videos in your posts?

2 comments:

HeAtHeR said...

i don't think you should get rid of your website--its established and its your own domain and easy to find for people doing a search for you---don't toss it

ellen said...

I would suggest keeping your blogger account until our semester is over. Then if you do go to wordpress it will feel like a fresh start.

I've been following Scot Huber's photo blog at http://movementsofscotland.blogspot.com/

He's maybe 22 or 23 and seems to be getting a lot of work. I met him when I was living in a Christian Co-op of sorts in Boston. I think he's done a lot with a simple blogger account. He's also a very thoughtful and intelligent Christian. I feel like an internet matchmaker, but you two seem like good potential friends.