Monday, September 14, 2009

-INTRO-

This blog has taken a turn. Last year, I was using it to update friends and family at home while deployed to Iraq. Now the focus has changed to discuss my passion for the Steelers and how (at times) it has clashed with my devotion to God.

My wife got me into the Steelers. She now blames herself when I'll bring them up in conversation even in the middle of June (that awkward and painful time between the draft and the beginning of training camp when there really is no Steelers news out there unless somebody crashes his motorcycle or is accused of raping someone).

I didn't used to be this way. I used to hate football and didn't know the difference between a false start and a touch down dance. Also, I didn't always have a passion for God as I do now. My Steelers addiction came first (during the 2005 season even before the Steelers had a shot at their 5th Lombardi Trophy). I came to Christ gradually over the past few years. Now my responsibility to worship God and lead my wife in that worship has taken first place.

Nonetheless, I'm going to use this blog primarily to discuss events relating to Steelers news and my own takes on games and future match-ups. It may get messy, however, so be warned. The two topics may clash at any given moment.

As I continue to mature in my faith, I've committed myself to God first. The reason why I chose to blog mainly about the Steelers, however, (for this class on blogging I'm taking) is that it allows me to discuss topics as they happen presently. Another issue is a matter of privacy. I'll discuss my faith in God with anybody at any time, however it touches upon so many private sins and struggles that I didn't feel appropriate opening that up to the webbing world.

So ultimately, this is where the clash happens. My wife calls my passion for the Steelers "obsessive." As Christian, I worship God daily by reading the Bible with my wife, but more specifically on Sundays. Also known as, the Lord's day. Also known as Game Day.

It's not that sports are evil. It's not that football itself is sinful. But in the past, I admit, I've treated the Steelers as an Idol, allowing it to dictate my mood for a week based on wins and losses, making me superstitious over carrying my Terrible Towel with me on game day, and -- most damaging -- conflicting with my worship of God on Sundays. There used to be days I'd slip out of church early to watch the kickoff. Other times, I could barely pay attention to the sermon because my mind was so invested on what players were injured or how other teams were doing in our division.

So the danger, of course, is creating a forum to feed the beast of my own idol.

Rule number one, therefore, will be No Blogging on Sundays. I may have to create other rules as I go along.

For the most part, my blog entries will discuss just the Steelers without having to include my faith into it. Other days, I may be compelled to talk more specifically about my faith, and leave the Steelers behind. Then there will be days when the two clash.

Enjoy

No comments: