Tuesday, September 29, 2009

a poem

I was reading C.S. Lewis' "The Abolition of Man" a little while ago, in which Lewis presents the case of how moral relativity can lead to the destruction of the very social fiber in which we live. It's a tough book, and by far one of Lewis' more challenging reads.

There was, however, a section that inspired me to write a poem. In his second essay of the book, Lewis argues why "morality" is not something that lies within the individual, but rather it is something ordained by a higher power. I'm not going to get into the nitty-gritty points of his argument because I don't have the book before me, and it's been a few months since I last read it.

But I did write a poem dedicated to "instinct" -- which Lewis argues is not a valid source for morality.

...

I asked my grandpa once
how the birds avoid the winter
and find their way
to warmer climates
he said one word:
instinct
I asked him then what instinct was
he said, a voice deep within ourselves
a voice that tells us right and wrong
and guides our path along the way
and shapes the things we know as truth
and speaks of judgment on our behalf
like God? I asked
but he said, no,
not a god, because god cannot exist.
my instinct told me then
not to ask more questions
but I did not listen.
what is right and wrong
if people’s instincts disagree?
listen to me well, he said
you must one day learn
to think for yourself
as I have
then you will learn
to quit listening to the garbage
your father teaches
on Sunday mornings to the crowds
and listen only to the inner heart
you understand?
but what if the heart deceives?
it wont,
your heart will never lead astray.
then whose heart has my father followed?
he paused before he answered
perhaps to listen well
to the inner voice
deep inside himself
the masses, he answered
but how did the masses come to an agreement?
enough with the questions boy
and said no more
he placed his hands inside his pockets
and he kicked some stones about his feet
and he faced away to watch the sky
and watched the birds in flight
a path drawn before their own
and he continued listening
to his drumming heart
until the day he died

No comments: